Rodica Baciu (Boanta), Petre BREZEANU
The Bucharest University of Economic Studies Department of Finance, Bucharest, Romania
4th International Conference – ERAZ 2018 – KNOWLEDGE BASED SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, Sofia- Bulgaria, June 7, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Business Studies, Mediterranean University – Podgorica, Montenegro; University of National and World Economy – Sofia, Bulgaria; Faculty of Commercial and Business Studies – Celje, Slovenia; Faculty of Applied Management, Economics and Finance – Belgrade, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-12-7
The purpose of this research is to determine whether there is a relationship between capital structure and economic performance of firms active in Romania in the wholesale of motors vehicle parts and accessories (NACE 4531). Capital structure refers to how a firm chooses to finance their investments and future growth by dividing debt into subcategories (bank, commercial) and time horizon, while economic performance is evaluated by the return on assets (net result divided by total assets in the balance sheet). By determining this relationship, firms in these sectors should have a better understanding of how to finance long and short term investments to maximize the return on assets and exceed the cost of capital. The main output of the study consists in the fact that the financial structure divided by debt components of the companies explains significantly the return on assets, while the model can be improved by adding operating profits and asset turnover to better explain economic return.
capital structure, return on assets, operating leverage
- Anton Sorin Gabriel, Ionel Bostan (2017), “The Role of Access to Finance in Explaining Cross – National Variation in Entrepreneurial Activity: A Panel Data Approach”, Sustainability 2017, 9, 1947, Journal homepage: https://www.mdpi.com/journal/sustainability;
- Anton Sorin Gabriel, Elena Toader, Bogdan Firtescu (2016), “Does Risk Management Using Derivatives Improve the Financial Performance of Pension Funds? Empirical Evidence from Romania”, Transformations in Business & Economics, ISSN: 1648 – 4460, Vol. 15, No 3 C (39C), Journal homepage: https://www.transformations.knf.vu.lt/23;
- Anton Sorin Gabriel (2016), “The Impact of Leverage on Firm Growth. Empirical Evidence from Romanian Listed Firms”, Review of Economic & Business Studies, Volume 9, Issue 2, ISSN: 1843 – 763X, Journal homepage: https://www.rebs.ro/;
- Botosan, C., Plumlee, M. and Wen, H. (2011). The Relation between Expected Returns, Realized Returns, and Firm Risk Characteristics. Contemporary Accounting Research, 28(4), pp.1085-1122.
- Botoc Claudiu, Gabriel Anton (2017), “Is profitability driven by working capital management? Evidence for high – growth firms from emerging Europe”, Journal of Business Economics and Management, ISSN: 1611-1699 (Print), 2019-4433 (Online), Journal homepage: https://tandfonline.com/loi/tbem20;
- Chadha, S. and Sharma, A. (2015). Capital Structure and Firm Performance: Empirical Evidence from India. Vision: The Journal of Business Perspective, 19(4), pp.295-302.
- Caruntu Constantin, Lapadusi Mihaela Loredana (2009), “Financial Return on Assets. The impact of the Financial Return on Assets over the company’s development”, Annals of “Constantin Brancusi” University of Tg. Jiu, Economic Series, No 2/2009, Journal homepage: https://www.utgjiu.ro/revista/ec/pdf/2009-02/9_CONSTANTIN_CARUNTU.pdf
- Christensen, B., Nielsen, M. and Zhu, J. (2015). The impact of financial crises on the risk–return tradeoff and the leverage effect. Economic Modelling, 49, pp.407-418.
- Codarlasu, A. si Ghidesciuc, N, (2008), Applied Econometrics, pp.44-55.
- Fernandez, P. (2011). WACC: Definition, Misconceptions and Errors. SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Fărcaş Pavel, Daniel Manaţ (2011), “THE PERFORMANCE OF ROMANIAN FINANCIAL INVESTMENT COMPANIES DURING THE FINANCIAL CRISIS”, Studia Universitatis “Vasile Goldiş” Arad, Economic Series, Anul 21/2011 Partea I, Journal homepage: https://www.studiauniversitatis.ro/;
- Galsband, V. (2010). The cross-section of equity returns and assets’ fundamental cash-flow risk. Financial Markets and Portfolio Management, 24(4), pp.327-351.
- Gerlach, P. and Maurer, R. (2015). Return-based classification of absolute return funds. Journal of Asset Management, 16(2), pp.117-130.
- Giacomini, E., Ling, D. and Naranjo, A. (2016). REIT Leverage and Return Performance: Keep Your Eye on the Target. Real Estate Economics, 45(4), pp.930-978.
- Gujarati, D. (2004), Basic Econometrics, Fourth Edition, The McGraw-Hill Companies, pp.637-643
- Jung, K. (2016). LIQUIDITY RISK AND TIME-VARYING CORRELATION BETWEEN EQUITY AND CURRENCY RETURNS. Economic Inquiry, 55(2), pp.898-919.
- Kasilingam, R. and Jayabal, G. (2012). Profitability and Solvency Analysis of A Manufacturing Company using Dupont and Altman Model. BVIMR Management Edge, 5(2), pp.31-50
- Kato, R. and Tsuruga, T. (2016). The safer, the riskier: A model of financial instability and bank leverage. Economic Modelling, 52, pp.71-77.
- Kruger, P., Landier, A. and Thesmar, D. (2015). The WACC Fallacy: The Real Effects of Using a Unique Discount Rate. The Journal of Finance, 70(3), pp.1253-1285
- Liu, L. and Li, E. (2012). Intangible Assets and Cross-Sectional Stock Returns: Evidence from Structural Estimation. SSRN Electronic Journal.
- M. Kannadhasan, Vinay Goyal and Parikshit Charan (2016). The Role of Financial Performance as a Moderator on the Relationship Between Financial Leverage and Shareholders Return. Journal of Modern Accounting and Auditing, 12(7), pp.81-98.
- Martins, E. and Martins, V. (2015). ACCOUNTING AND FINANCE: THE RECKLESS USE OF WACC. Revista Universo Contábil, pp.25-46.
- Melvin, J., Boehlje, M., Dobbins, C. and Gray, A. (2004). The Dupont profitability analysis model: an application and evaluation of an e‐learning tool. Agricultural Finance Review, 64(1), pp.75-89.
- Miller, S. and Bradford, G. (2001). Teaching Net Present Value Analysis: Returns-to-Assets versus Returns-to-Equity. Review of Agricultural Economics, 23(1), pp.223-241.
- Song, Z. (2011). Asset Growth and Idiosyncratic Return Volatility. SSRN Electronic Journal.
- Tudose, M. (2012). Capital structure and firm performance, 15(2), pp.76-82
- VINTILĂ, Georgeta; GHEORGHE, Ilie; POCAN, Ioana Mihaela; ANGHEL, Mădălina Gabriela (2012), “Factorial Analysis of Profitability”, Romanian Statistical Review, 2012 Issue Sup., Journal homepage: www.revistadestatistica.ro/index.php/romanian-statistical-review-42017/;