Ismail Metin, Enis Yakut
Manisa Celal Bayar University, Faculty of Business, Muradiye Campus, Manisa/Turkey
4th International Conference – ERAZ 2018 – KNOWLEDGE BASED SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, Sofia- Bulgaria, June 7, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Business Studies, Mediterranean University – Podgorica, Montenegro; University of National and World Economy – Sofia, Bulgaria; Faculty of Commercial and Business Studies – Celje, Slovenia; Faculty of Applied Management, Economics and Finance – Belgrade, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-12-7
Crypto currencies have recently become an important investment tool. The lack of central authority behind it, being referred as a means for laundering illicit money, the lack of legal regulations and the hacking of some stock exchanges have raised question about the perceived trust and risk toward crypto currencies. In this study, an online survey was prepared and shared on social media. The total of 767 people participated in the online survey; and factor analysis, correlation analysis and linear regression analysis have been conducted. As a result, it has been concluded that there is a negative correlation between the risk perception of consumers and the perceived trust towards crypto currencies; and as the trust towards crypto currencies increases, the level of perceived risk declines. Additionally, it can be stated that, the trust toward crypto currencies develops and strengthens over time, the level of trust noticeably increases with the initial investment, and it continues to increase over time.
Consumer Behavior, Crypto Currency, Perceived Risk, Bitcoin, Perceived Trust
- Aiken, Kirk Damon (2001), Developing Consumers Trust in a Computer-Mediated Environment: An Investigation of Market Signals, The University of Oregon, Doctoral Dissertations, (Umi microform number 3018355).
- Aksoy, R. (2006). Bir pazarlama değeri olarak güven ve tüketicilerin elektronik pazarlara yönelik güven tutumları. ZKÜ Sosyal Bilimler Dergisi, 2(4), 79–90.
- Altuğ, N. ve Özkan, Ş. (2012). Trakya Bölgesi’ndeki Üniversitelerde görev yapan öğretim elemanlarının online alışverişten algıladıkları risk ve fayda üzerine bir araştırma, Öneri Dergisi, 10(38), s.1-10.
- Armstrong, R. W., & Yee, S. M. (2001). Do Chinese trust Chinese? A study of Chinese buyers and sellers in Malaysia. Journal of International Marketing, 9(3), 63-86.
- Bariviera, A.F., Basgall, M.J., Hasperue, W. ve Naiouf, M. (2017). Some Stylized Facts of the Bitcoin Market, Physica A., 484 (2017), 82-90.
- Bettman, J. R. (1973). Perceived risk and its components: A model and empirical test. Journal of marketing research, 184-190.
- Chang, H. H., & Chen, S. W. (2008). The impact of online store environment cues on purchase intention: Trust and perceived risk as a mediator. Online information review, 32(6), 818-841.
- Cheah, E. ve Fry J. (2015). “Speculative Bubbles in Bitcoin Markets? An Empirical Investigation into the Fundamental Value of Bitcoin”, Economics Letters, 130 (2015), 32-36.
- Ciaian, P., Rajcaniova, M. ve Kancs, D. (2018). “Virtual Relationship: Shaort- And Long-run Evidence from Bitcoin and Altcoin Markets”, Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions & Money, 52(2018), 173-195.
- Coinmarketcap, (2018). Kripto para Verileri, https://coinmarketcap.com/ Erişim: 9 Mart 2018
- Coulter, K. S., & Coulter, R. A. (2002). Determinants of trust in a service provider: the moderating role of length of relationship. Journal of services marketing, 16(1), 35-50.
- DelVecchio, D., & Smith, D. C. (2005). Brand-extension price premiums: the effects of perceived fit and extension product category risk. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 33(2), 184-196.
- Doney, P. M., & Cannon, J. P. (1997). An examination of the nature of trust in buyer-seller relationships. the Journal of Marketing, 35-51.
- Dulupçu, M.A., Yiyit, M. Ve Genç, A.G. (2017). “Dijital Ekonominin Yükselen Yüzü: Bitcoin’in Değeri İle Bilinirliği Arasındaki İlişkinin Analizi”, Süleyman Demirel Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 22 (15), 2241-2258.
- Gültekin, Y. ve Bulut, Y. (2016). “Bitcoin Ekonomisi: Bitcoin Ekosisteminden Doğan Yeni Sektörler ve Analizi”, Adnan Menderes Üniversitesi SBE Dergisi, 3(3), 82-92.
- Hansen, J.M., Saridakis, G. ve Benson, V. (2018). Risk, trust, and the interaction of perceived ease of use and behavioral control in predicting consumers’ use of social media for transactions, Computers in Human Behavior, 80 (2015), 197-206.
- Helmstadter, G. C. (1964). Principles of psychological measurement, Appleton-Century-Crofts, New York, NY
- Hepkorucu, A. ve Genç, S. (2017). “Finansal Varlık Olarak Bitcoin’in İncelenmesi ve Birim Kök Yapısı Üzerine Bir Uygulama”, Osmaniye Korku Ata Üniversitesi İ.İ.B.F. Dergisi, 1(2), 47-58
- Jarvenpaa, S., & Teigland, R. (2017, January). Introduction to trust, identity, and trusted systems in digital environments minitrack. In Proceedings of the 50th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences.
- Kim, D. J., Ferrin, D. L., & Rao, H. R. (2008). A trust-based consumer decision-making model in electronic commerce: The role of trust, perceived risk, and their antecedents. Decision support systems, 44(2), 544-564.
- Küçükbay, F. (2016). Bankalar ve Risk. Ankara: Nobel.
- Metin, İ. ve Yakut, E. (2018). Kripto Para Girişimciliğinde Güven Faktörü Üzerine Bir Araştırma, 17. Uluslararası Katılımlı İşletmecilik Kongresi, 26-28 Nisan 2018, Çeşme, İzmir
- Mitchell, V. W. (1999). Consumer perceived risk: conceptualisations and models. European Journal of marketing, 33(1/2), 163-195.
- Mukherjee, A., & Nath, P. (2003). A model of trust in online relationship banking. International journal of bank marketing, 21(1), 5-15.
- Norusis, M. J. (2011). IBM SPSS Statistics 19 Advanced Atatistical Procedures Companion. Prentice Hall, Upper Saddle Riveri, NJ, USA
- Peter, J. P., & Ryan, M. J. (1976). An investigation of perceived risk at the brand level. Journal of marketing research, 184-188.
- Presthus, W. ve O’Malley, N.O. (2017). “Motivations and Varriers for End-User Adoption of Bitcoin as Digital Currency”, Procedia Computer Science 121 (2017), 89-97.
- Tsanidis, C. Nerantzaki, D., Karavasilis, G., Vrana, V. ve Paschaloudis, D. (2015). Greek Consumers and The Use of Bitcoin, The Business & Management Review, 6(2), s.295-302.
- TDK (Türk Dil Kurumu), (2018). Risk Tanımı, Erişim: 10 Mart 2018, https://www.tdk.gov.tr/index.php?option=com_gts&arama=gts&guid=TDK.GTS.5aa3a6d5649ed0.67973222
- Yang, Q., Pang, C., Liu, L., Yen, D.C. ve Tarn, J.M. (2015). Exploring Consumer perceived risk and trust for online payments: An empirical study in China’s younger generation, Computers in Human Behavior, 50 (2015), s.9-24.
- Yelowitz, A ve Wilson, M. (2015). “Characteristics of Bitcoin Users: An Analysis of Google Search Data”, Applied Economics Letters, 22(13), 1030-1036.