Zurich University of Applied Sciences School of Management and Law, Winterthur, Switzerland
4th International Conference – ERAZ 2018 – KNOWLEDGE BASED SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, Sofia- Bulgaria, June 7, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Business Studies, Mediterranean University – Podgorica, Montenegro; University of National and World Economy – Sofia, Bulgaria; Faculty of Commercial and Business Studies – Celje, Slovenia; Faculty of Applied Management, Economics and Finance – Belgrade, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-12-7
This conceptual paper aims to fill a gap in the literature of crisis classifications and to develop a framework that allows for categorization of crisis situations and corresponding management and communication. It incorporates the international and intercultural management literature to derive four dimensions: the trigger event impact, the degree of operational internationalization, the international perception and the cultural difference of the affected stakeholders. These dimensions are to be further specified and validated through qualitative and quantitative research.
International crisis, cultural differences, stakeholder perception, crisis management, strategic crisis communication, classification matrix.
- Barton, L. (2001). Crisis in organizations. Cincinnati, OH, South-Western.
- Björck, A. (2016). Crisis typologies revisited: An interdisciplinary approach. Central European Business Review. 5, 3. pp. 25-37.
- Burnett, J. J. (1998). A Strategic Approach To Managing Crisis. Public Relations Review. 24 (4), pp. 475-488.
- Coombs, W. T. (2008). The future of crisis communication from an international perspective. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag.
- Coombs T., Holladay S. (2010). Examining the Effects of Mutability and Framing on Perceptions of Human Error and Technical Error Crises: Implications for Situational Crisis Communication Theory. Handbook of Crisis Communications. pp. 181.
- Darling, J. R. (1994). Crisis Management in International Business: Keys to Effective Decision Making. Leadership & Organization Development Journal , 15 (8).
- Fearn-Banks, K. (2009). Crisis communications: A casebook approach, New York, NY: Routledge.
- Frandsen, F. and Johansen, W. (2010). Corporate crisis communication across cultures, Trosborg, A. (Ed.), Pragmatics Across Languages and Cultures, Mouton De Gruyter, Berlin, pp. 543-569.
- Forbes Insights in cooperation with Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu (2016). A Crisis of Confidence – Global study of 300 board members, from: https://www.deloitte.com/acrisisofconfidence.
- Giplin D., Murphy, P., (2006). Reframing crisis management through complexity, Botan C.H., Hazelton V. (Ed.), Public relations theory II, pp. 375-392.
- Glaum M., Oesterle M.-J. (2007). 40 years of Research on Internationalization and Firm Performance: More Questions than Answers?. in: Management International Review. 47, 2007/3. pp.307-317.
- Gronwald, K.-D. (2017). Global Communication and Collaboration. Heidelberg, Springer-Verlag.
- Gundel S., (2005). Towards a New Typology of Crises, Journal of Contingencies and Crisis Management, Vol. 13, Number 3, September 2005.
- Heath R. L., (2012), Introduction Crisis Communication: defining the Beast and Demarginalizing Key Publics, in: Coombs T., Holladay S. (Eds.), The Handbook of Crisis Communications, pp. 1-13.
-  Hill R. (2014). International Business – Competing in the Global Market Place. Mcgraw-Hill.
- Johanson, J. & Vahlne, J.-E. (1977). The Internationalization Process of the Firm – A Model of Knowledge Development and Increasing Foreign Market Commitments. Journal of International Business Studies, 8(1). pp. 25-34.
- Lee B. K. (2005). Crisis, culture, community, Kalbfleisch, P.J. (Ed.), Communication Yearbook, Vol. 29, Erlbaum, Mahwah, NJ, pp. 275-309.
- Mitroff, I. I. (2004). Crisis leadership: Planning for the unthinkable. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley.
- Northouse P. G. (2016). Leadership: Theory and Practice. Los Angeles, California, SAGE.
- Pearson, C. M., & Clair, J. A. (1998). Reframing crisis management. Academy of Management Review, 23(1), pp. 59–76.
- Ravazzani S. (2016). Exploring internal crisis communication in multicultural environments: A study among Danish managers“. Corporate Communications: An International Journal, Vol. 21, pp.73-88.
- Swerling J., Thorson K. (2013), The Role and Status of communication practice in the USA and Europe. Journal of Communication Management. 18, 1 pp. 2-15.
- Tihanyi, L., Griffith, D., & Russell, C. (2005). The effect of cultural distance on entry mode choice, international diversification, and MNE performance: a meta- analysis. Journal of International Business Studies. 36 (3). pp. 270-83.
- Verhoeven P., Tench R., Zerfass A., Moreno A., Vercic D. (2014). Crisis? What crisis? How European professionals handle crises and crisis communication. Public Relations Review, 40, pp. 107-109.