Daniel Seelhofer, Christian Olivier Graf, Selina Guhl
Zurich University of Applied Sciences, International Management Institute, Winterthur, Switzerland
4th International Conference – ERAZ 2018 – KNOWLEDGE BASED SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, Sofia- Bulgaria, June 7, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Business Studies, Mediterranean University – Podgorica, Montenegro; University of National and World Economy – Sofia, Bulgaria; Faculty of Commercial and Business Studies – Celje, Slovenia; Faculty of Applied Management, Economics and Finance – Belgrade, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-12-7
This paper explains the importance of projects in higher education and presents a conceptual framework for developing a mature project management culture in institutions of higher learning, followed by implementation recommendations based on a survey and a series of semi structured interviews with higher education project managers.
project management, organizational culture, higher education.
- Natale, S.M. and Doran, C. (2012). Marketization of education: an ethical dilemma, Journal of Business Ethics, Vol. 105 No. 2, pp. 197-196
- Mintzberg, H. (2004). Managers not MBAs: a hard look at the soft practice of managing and management development, Pearson Education, Harlow, UK
- Starkey, K., Hatchuel, A. and Tempest, S. (2004). Rethinking the business schools. Journal of Management Studies, Vol. 41, No. 1, pp. 1521-1530.
- Seelhofer, D. (2016). Developing business school strategies: a practitioner-oriented conceptualization, Central European Business Review, Vol.5, No. 1, pp. 5-28.
- Alajoutsijärvi, K., Juusola, K. and Siltaoja, M. (2015). The legitimacy paradox of business schools: losing by gaining?, Academy of Management Learning & Education, Vol. 14, No. 2, pp. 277-291.
- Jurse, M. (2010). Evolution of traditional university business school into market-oriented knowledge provider, Trizste, Vol. 22, No. 2, pp. 167-188.
- Xie, C. and Steiner, S.D. (2013). Enhancing management education relevance: Joint creation of knowledge between Institutions of higher learning and business. Business Education & Accreditation, Vol. 5, No. 2, pp. 1-15.
- Torres, L. C. (2014). A contingency view on the effect of project management maturity on perceived performance. Doctoral dissertation, Skema Business School, Lille.
- Hillson, D. (2001). Benchmarking organizational project management capability. Proceedings of the 32nd Annual Project Management Institute 2001 Seminars & Symposium.
- Seelhofer, D. (2017). Interpersonal leadership: an applied guide, OGMA, Zurich.
- Nokes, S., & Kelly, S. (2007). The definitive guide to project management: the fast track to getting the job done on time and on budget, Pearson Education, London.
- Foti, Ross. (2002). maturity (me-tur-e-te) noun, 21st century. Synonym: survival. PM Network, Vol. 16, No. 9, pp. 39-43.
- Ibbs, W. C. and Kwak Y.-H. (1997). The benefits of project management: Financial and organizational rewards to corporations. Philadelphia: PMI Educational Foundation.
- Brown, C. J. (1999). Towards a strategy for project management implementation, South African Journal of Business Management, Vol. 30, No. 2, pp. 33-38.
- Firth, G., & Krut, R. (1991). Introducing a project management culture, European Management Journal, Vol. 9, No. 4, pp. 437-443.
- Graham, R. J. (2011). A Process of Organizational Change: From Bureaucracy to Project Management Orientation, in: Dinsmore, P. C., and Cabanis-Brewin, J. (eds.). The AMA Handbook of Project Management, New York: Amacom Books.
- Wang, X. (2001). Dimensions and current status of project management culture. Project Management Journal, Vol. 32, No. 4, pp. 4–17.
- Cooke-Davies, T. J., & Arzymanow, A. (2003). The maturity of project management in different industries: An investigation into variations between project management models. International Journal of Project Management, Vol. 21, No. 6, pp. 471-478
- Morrison, J. M., Brown, C. J., & Smit, E. V. D. M. (2006). A supportive organisational culture for project management in matrix organizations: a theoretical perspective, South African Journal of Business Management, Vol. 37, No. 4, pp. 39-54
- Du Plessis, Y., & Hoole, C. (2006). An operational’ project management culture’ framework (part 1). SA Journal of Human Resource Management, Vol. 4, No. 1, pp. 36-43.
- Zeng, Y., Jin, M., Guo, C., & Zhang, Z. (2015). Research on evaluation of enterprise project culture based on Denison model. Journal of Industrial Engineering and Management, Vol. 8, No. 3, pp. 909-927.
- Denison, D. R., & Mishra, A. K. (1995). Toward a theory of organizational culture and effectiveness. Organization Science, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 204-223.