FACULTY OF TOURISM STUDIES, UNIVERSITY OF PRIMORSKA, PORTOROŽ, Slovenia
4th International Conference – ERAZ 2018 – KNOWLEDGE BASED SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, Sofia- Bulgaria, June 7, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Business Studies, Mediterranean University – Podgorica, Montenegro; University of National and World Economy – Sofia, Bulgaria; Faculty of Commercial and Business Studies – Celje, Slovenia; Faculty of Applied Management, Economics and Finance – Belgrade, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-12-7
Diversity and diversity management are indisputably current issues in the global socio-economic circumstances and particularly evident in the labour market. Diversity encompasses both differences and similarities among people. The paper assesses diversity in the context of the Slovenian hospitality industry (HI). The HI of Slovenia has been experiencing diversity for a long time due to the shortage of skilled workforce. In contrast to an extensive research on diversity abroad Slovenia lacks similar surveys. The paper has an aim to fill this gap and thus, the first purpose of the present survey was to provide an overview of the migrant workforce in Slovenia, their origin and structure. Secondly, a qualitative content analysis of the HI corporate websites was performed seeking information on their diversity strategies and practices. Surprisingly, employers in the HI seem to ignore diversity and thus miss the opportunity to derive benefits from it.
Slovenia, Hotel industry, Diversity management, Corporate statements
- Ivancevich, J.M. (2003) Human resource management, 9th international ed., McGraw Hill, Boston.
- Kossek, E.E., Huang, J.L., Piczcek, M.M., Fleenor, J.W., Ruderman, M. (2017) Human Resource Management, Vol. 56, No. 1, pp. 151-172.
- Brezigar, S. (2015) Critical reflections on managing cultural diversity in workplaces in Slovenia, Andragoška spoznanja, 21(4), pp. 69-82.
- Malačič, J. (2010) Tuji delavci na trgu dela v Sloveniji v dobrih in slabih časih: zaposlovanje tujcev in prilagajanje trga dela spremembam v gospodarskih aktivnostih, HRM, 8(33), pp. 6-11.
- Medica, K., Lukič, G., Bufon, M., (eds). (2010) Migranti v Sloveniji – med integracijo in alienacijo. Univerzitetna založba Annales, Koper.
- Rok, M., Mulej, M. (2014) CSR-based model for HRM in tourism and hospitality, Kybernetes, Vol. 43 Iss: 3/4, pp. 346-362.
- Aigner, P. (2014) Ethnic Diversity Management in Theory and Practice. Journal of Diversity Management, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 111-119.
- Yap, M.H.T., Ineson, E. (2016) Diversity managemet in Vietnam`s hospitality industry, Journal of Human Resources in Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 15, Issue 2, pp. 147-165.
- Madera, J.M., Dawson, M., Neal, J.A. (2017) Managers` psychological diversity climate and fairness: The utility and importance of diversity management in the hospitality industry. Journal of Human resources in Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 16, Issue 3.
- Ravichandra, S., Israeli, A.A., Sethna, F., Bolden, E.C. III, Ghosh, A. (2017) Hospitality managers` importance perceptions of human resource practices related to employment of foreign workers in the United States, Journal of Human resources in Hospitality & Tourism, Vol. 16, No. 4, pp. 331-348.
- Syed, J., Kramar, R. (2009) What is the Australian model for managing cultural diversity? Personnel Review, Vol. 39, Issue 1, pp. 96-115.
- Kalargyrou, V., Costen, W. (2017) Diversity management research in hospitality and tourism: past, present and future, International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 29, Issue:1, pp.68-114, doi: 10.1108/IJCHM-09-2015-0470.
- Martynowicz, A., Jarman, N. (2009) New migration, equality and integration; issues and challenges for Northern Ireland, Institute for conflict research, Equality House, Belfast.
- Bell, K., Jarman, N., Lefebvre, T. (2004) Migrant workers in Northern Ireland. Institute for Conflict Research, Belfast.
- Devine, F., Baum, T., Hearns, N., Devine, A. (2007) Managing cultural diversity: opportunities and challenges for Northern Ireland hoteliers, IJCHM, Vol.19, No.2, pp 120-132.
- SURS – Statistical office RS (2018) Demography and social statistics, available at https://www.stat.si/statweb (accessed May 2018).
- ESS – Employment Service of Slovenia (2018) Slovenian labour market, available at https://www.ess.gov.si (accessed June 2018).
- Groeschl, S. (2009) Diversity management strategies of global hotel groups. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 23, No. 2, pp. 224-240.
- Terme Krka (2018) available at: https://www.terme-krka.com/us/en/about-us/about-us/ (accessed June 2018).
- Union hoteli d.d. (2018) available at: https://www.union-hotels.eu/sl/union-hoteli/o-nas/ (accessed June 2018).
- Kempinski (2018) available at: https://www.kempinski.com/en/hotels/about-us/corporate-social-responsibility/ (accessed June 2018).
- HIT d.d. (2018) available at: https://www.hit.si/si/skupina-hit/druzbena-odgovornost (accessed June 2018).
- Sava turizem d.d. (2018) available at: https://www.sava-hotels-resorts.com/si/ (accessed June 2018).
- Torrington, D., Hall, L., Taylor, S. (2009) Human resource management, Prentice Hall, Harlow.
- Hoteli Bernardin (2018) available at https://www.hoteli-bernardin.si /en/information/responsibility-towards-society-and-the-environment, (accesed June 2018)
- Ramada – Wyndham Hotels&Resorts (2018) available at: https://careers.wyndhamhotels.com/diversity-inclusion (accesed June 2018)
- Lifeclass (2018) available at: https://www.lifeclass.net/en/ (accessed June 2018)
- Moore, S. (1999) Understanding and managing diversity among groups at work: key issues for organizational training and development, Journal of European Industrial Training, 23(4/5), 208-217.