Anita Silvana Ilak Peršurić
The Institute of Agriculture and Tourism, Poreč, Croatia
4th International Conference – ERAZ 2018 – KNOWLEDGE BASED SUSTAINABLE ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT, Sofia- Bulgaria, June 7, 2018, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS published by: Association of Economists and Managers of the Balkans, Belgrade, Serbia; Faculty of Business Studies, Mediterranean University – Podgorica, Montenegro; University of National and World Economy – Sofia, Bulgaria; Faculty of Commercial and Business Studies – Celje, Slovenia; Faculty of Applied Management, Economics and Finance – Belgrade, Serbia, ISBN 978-86-80194-12-7
Landscapes contain and create value for tourism destinations worldwide and have wide influences on the perception of a destination. The landscapes with its specific geographical and climatic features are perceived as pull factors (attraction factors) to tourists.
In European countries agricultural landscapes are highly valued both by local population and tourists attracting them to the destination. Agricultural production, especially vineyards, olives, orchards and animals in the landscape create an original experience of the destination.
On the case of several European countries with and without maritime surroundings, we have chosen attractive tourism destinations with highly attractive landscapes.
The paper shows examples of Slovakia, Czech Republic as non-maritime countries opposite to Mediterranean countries as Croatia and Slovenia.
The main aim of this paper was to assess the importance of agricultural landscapes in the context of tourism. Along with the gastronomic offer and cultural heritage, the agricultural landscapes create high values for tourism destinations. Tourists perceive these features as pull factors and grade highly their value. Furthermore, these features are even more highly valued and cherished by the local population.
Croatia, landscape, tourists, local population
- Crompton, J.L., McCay, S.L. (1997) Motives of visitors attending festival events. Annals of Tourism Research 24(2):pp425-439.
- Dann, G.M.S. (1977) Anomie, ego-enhancement and tourism. Annals of Tourism Research 4(4): pp184-194.
- Dann, G.M.S. (1981) Tourist motivation: An appraisal. Annals of Tourism Research 8(2): pp187-219.
- Schirmer, R. (2009) Les paysages du vignoble francais. https://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halsh-00442195
- Le vignoble dans le paysage (2002) Les cahiers itineraires d’itv France. Ministere de agriculture et de la peche. Novembre 2002 (presentation)
- Slamova, M., Jakubec, B., Hreško, J., Belaček, B., Gallay, I. (2015) Modification of the potential production capabilities of agricultural terrace soils due to historical cutivation in the Budina cadastral area, Slovakia. Moravian Geographical reports 23(2):pp47-55.
- Špalerova, J., Dobrodovska, M., Štefunkova, D. Kenderessy, P., Iszoff, M. (2017) Terraced landscapes in Slovakia. Acta Geographica Slovenica 57:pp99-109.
- Pipan, P., Kokalj, Ž. (2017) Transformation of the Jeruzalem Hills cultural landscape with modern terraced vineyards. Acta Geographica Slovenica 57:pp149-162.